/guests
/T
Guest Columns

Mr. T

Main

BLAH

THREE FACES OF KAYFABE, TAKE II

Checking Da Mail
The total is at an all-time high of ten for my last effort, The Three Faces of Kayfabe. Fellow [Slash]er Sharon Austin wrote:

"First of all, please let me say thank you for not falling into the trap of oh so many of these internet writers by worshipping at the altar of Russo & Ferrerra. "
Very welcome -- can't stand 'em, especially when now that their egos run Nitro ...
"And I say that not just as an admitted WWF mark but as a fellow commentator on CRZ. People are crowing over the vast improvements of Nitro and already heralding the demise of the WWF. I just read a report on WCW live where they're already predicting they'll be back on top by the new year! I say dream on, buddy! It seems to me an acute case of deja vu-didn't everyone fawn over Eric Bischoff-only to end up despising him 2 years later?"
Good point (one *I* wish I'd thought of).
Thanks for the feedback, and thanks as well go to bethebunny@webtv.net, The Minister, Troy Babbs, Bobby Gladon, and Clyde Ford for their complimentary emails. Cheers!

Since we speak of Bischoff, an article has arisen. Exactly what was the downfall of the ever-hot nWo angle? My 9 readers speak!
Reader 1: "The pointless, multitudes of run-ins"
Reader 2: "His hair, definitely the hair"
Reader 3: "nWo Nitecap --anything that led to Jay Leno wrestling deserved failure!"
Reader 4: "The fact that WCW didn't win the blowoff, like the good guys should have."
Reader 5: "Um, VINCENT! Yeah, blame it on Vincent."
Reader 6: "I didn't like it because I'M BAISED! HA!" 
Reader 7: "WAY TOO many members, man, for a elitist "take no prisoners" group."
Reader 8: "Hogan refused to put Sting over."
Reader 9: "The booking ABSOLUTELY SUCKED."

All of these are excellent theories, but I have another idea: Let's call it Bischoff Power & Glory
Syndrome in honor of it's first famous sufferer. To properly explain this, let's start with a look at the job of the Head Booker.

The Head Booker is the main creative person in a wrestling federation. Depending on the system/fed, this person may or may not have assistant bookers, or this duty may be shared by two or three people, committee style. Given a roster size of, let's say 40, their job is to best utilize said talent by thinking up ideas and angles for them on TV, all the while trying to keep all the angles consistent with all other stories. In the face of this, you also have to script 5-7 hours of TV a week (remember, you're writng EVERY DETAIL, it will take at least that long to write), TV that the marks and the oh so fickle smarks will be entertained by, and deal with any creative issues that your talent may have.

Sound like a pretty tough job? It is, and I'm sure there are things I don't even know about. Ok, toss in being on camera as well. Now, in addition to the above, you've got to be on camera, obviously, and be both creative enough to get yourself "over", and be objective about the rest of the product. Remember, you script a lot (or all) of the TV you appear on, so you naturally worry a LOT about it being "just right". A lot of work?

How about handling the business end of things as well? Negotating with new talent, deal with monetary issues of current talent, travel, budget demands, and now trying to be practical with your monetary power while expanding your business, and acquiring new talent. Oh, not to mention dealing with taxes, lawsuits, public relations, and the government, and the overhead corporate red tape (in WCW's case). Also, if you're "number two", the people blame YOU! YOU, probably one of the hardest workers in your promotion.  

Finally, you're more than likely married, with children, and a wife. When are you going to spend time with them? All that time writing TV, handling the business, performing on TV, and being on the road 300 + days out of the year, leaves you very VERY busy, with very few days off. 

You thought it was EASY? Almost any smark on the net fancies his/herself as a person who could charge right in, and turn WCW around, but think again -- there's a lot "of that there WORK involved" too.

Okay, finally, you are doing all this work, and your work as a performer pays off.The angle you're working skyrockets in popularity. You're famous, you're #1 in the ratings, you're rolling in the money -- how can you NOT lose your objectivity? How long is it until you (creatively, mentally, physically) burn out from the super-excessive workload you're putting yourself through?

The answer: Burnout may take a while, but when it happens, it happens with vengeance, as your meal ticket is now passe': the other guys are number one, while people yell "lame" and "disband the NWO" when you come out. To add to the problem, talent is jumping for a better chance on the other side, and many are unhappy with their own star status, and that super workload seems more a burden than EVER since you've tasted sweet success. You're taking the fall, both on the Internet, and in the company, for the slide to #2.

This is Bischoff Power and Glory Syndrome. Vince McMahon, ironically enough, is now suffering from it, as a lot of the front office are heading to Stamford, and he is basically handling the whole store now. I contend that it is humanly impossible to succeed longterm this way: The nWo had maybe one good year before becoming stale, and Vince McMahon's red-hot angle with SCSA was done with, you guessed it, The Powers That Be, at the helm creatively.

What led to the downfall of Bischoff? Putting the booker on camera.

Hope you're listening, Vince & Ed...............

Mr. T
[slash] wrestling

Mail the Author

BLAH

Main

Design copyright (C) 1999 Christopher Robin Zimmerman & KZiM Communications
Guest column text copyright (C) 1999 by the individual author and used with permission