/T
Guest Columns

Mr. T

Main

BLAH

RESPECT

[RIP Charles Schulz 1922-2000 & Tom Landry, 1924-2000]

Death.

It seems to be everywhere these days. After getting the newspaper, and for the third day in a row, seeing a prominent death headlining the Star-Telegram, I feel a little overwhelmed by it. The first month and a half of Y2K have been more than a little disturbing in that regard.

*The* Cowboy's first (and only successful, it seems) coach. The artist of the most famous international comic strip [and one of the longest-lived syndicated strips, at over 50 years. Both left behind legacies that will be remembered for years [longer, in Schulz's case, as "Peanuts" will rerun old strips, and with 50 years worth in the vault, it'll be a while].

Hell, even wrestling hasn't escaped this curse. Bobby Duncum, Jnr is the first high-profile death of Y2K, but only the latest of a long string of drug-related deaths. The biggest wrestling story of 1999 had to be the tragic death (and the fallout thereof) of Owen Hart. Has it been three years since Brian Pillman died? How about Rick Rude? Sylvester "the Junkyard Dog" Ritter? The body count piles up. Yet none of these people [save maybe Owen Hart] will have any legacy to be remembered by. I've been bitter lately [see my last column] but this just makes me sick, and you know why?

Legitimacy.

The wrestling business has long been looked down on by many, as well as the fans/marks, who are characterized as rednecks, white trash, you name it. Sylvester Ritter got a couple of jokes from asshole ESPN reporters. Owen Hart's death was made the butt of a joke on "The Late Show" with Craig Kilborne, and used as an excuse to "illustrate" the "bloodthirstyness" and "anything to get the ratings syndrome" of pro wrestling today by the media at large. Both of these men were professionals who gave over 10 years of their life to the sport and entertaining the fans, and who gave many memorable moments to all of us. But their lives & legacies get no respect from the populace at large, because of the image of wrestling.

Godspeed, Charles Schulz. I hope one day that anyone - even a professional wrestler - can be respected in death -- after all, eventually they'll stop pulling the football away from Charlie, won't they?

I can dream, can't I?

Mr. T
[slash] wrestling

Email the author

BLAH

Main

Design copyright (C) 1999, 2000 Christopher Robin Zimmerman & KZiM Communications
Guest column text copyright (C) 2000 by the individual author and used with permission