You are here /wrestling
/guests
/T
Guest Columns

Mr. T

Main

BLAH

THE TOAST

Yesterday was Veterans Day, and in honor of that, my weekend contribution is going to be a little deviation from the usual.

If you've ever read the wonderful "Callahan" series of books by Spider Robinson, you know (or not) that the wonderful bunch of sci-fi barflies have an unusual method of dealing with life's problems: ordering a drink, making a toast, and shattering the glass in the (parabolic) fireplace. I got a little depressed, as I usually do around this time of year (School mainly -sigh-) and although in real life I don't drink (yet), I imagined some of the toasts I would make before eighty-sixing the glass. (There *IS* some wrestling-related content in there, btw)

To the veterans of wars past and present, whose blood was spilled in multitudes for our freedom;
    To the hosts of wrestlers who, over the past year, have sadly made bad choices under the enormous pressure & high glamour that they endured in entertaining us, and are now dead;
    To Owen Hart, whose life ended high on a platform, entertaining and delighting us all, and whose loss set an entire company on it's ear and his brother Bret, who is trying to do the right things in face of enormous loss;
    To the cast and all wrestlers part of the May 24th RAW, whose two hour tribute was one of the most touching things I've ever watched;
    To the corps and instructors of ROTC units all over the nation, who will be marching in parades in honor of the veterans and their noble sacrifice;
    To my teachers; past and present, who cared enough to teach me, and help me further in many cases,
    To CRZ, whose free forum here at Slash and outlandish content (g) encourage several of the ideals we believe in, and have entertained me for over a year now, and to all the contributers - boo-yah!
    To Rick Scaia: SELLOUT my *&^&*%^! The signing with SportsLine not only had obvious exposure benefits, but spawned [Slash] and Rantsylvania as a side effect, and forced Al and Scoops to step it up a notch in quality -- (I'm shooting here, I guess ...ah well ). [Slash] is cool: but would it have ever come to light if WM.com was still up?
    To the veterans of the wrestling world & VKM, who took what was once considered "the retarded half-brother of boxing" and made it into the thing we love today;
    To The Powers That Be & Hulk Hogan & Eric Bischoff, while I may not like you, or some of the changes you've made, or a lot of things about you, you guys were big catalysts in the huge popularity wrestling enjoys today, so you at least have my respect for that;
    To my mother;
    To Chyna, who's fighting against the stereotypes - you've got what it takes -- and my applause;
    To Mankind, best selling author, and definitely one of the "veterans of wrestling": I hope you retire healthy and have a nice day.
    To Michaelangelo & Sharon; my two favorite Slash contributors (plug) (plug) READ THEM! (end plug), so they get a mention here, oh and Read the People's Column (plug !) Andy's cool and he now knows who the other Kevin Kelly is :-);
    And FINALLY,
    To the wrestling community (and Mark Madden in particular): Underneath all the ad banners, smartass comments, commentary, net fueds, and etcera, we're all marks with keyboards.
But the ones who admit to it and enjoy that fact are the cool ones :-)

Take care guys,

Mr. T
[slash] wrestling

P.S. I'm (apparently) having appendix problems -- this will probably be my last contribution to [Slash] for a little while -- enjoy Survivor Series, and I'll (hopefully) be back in a week!

Mail the Author

BLAH

Main

Design copyright (C) 1999 Christopher Robin Zimmerman & KZiM Communications
Guest column text copyright (C) 1999 by the individual author and used with permission