You are here /wrestling
/guests
/T
Guest Columns

Mr. T

Main

BLAH

YOU COPYCAT!

This rant was inspired by a reader of mine -- thanks, Bobby!

Bert and Ernie, the Powers That Be, have taken over WCW. Joy. Already we've seen the total wrestling content on Nitro drop by half, more T&A than in the last two years combined, and, of course, the MEGA PUSH FROM HELL for the overworked, underappreciated (har, har, sarcasm alert) writers from up North.

Is this a good thing?

I think not.

Here's a look at some of the audience wrestling as a whole can/has lost due to the loss of "the alternative":

Younger Kids: A coworker of mine (mother of four) has a 12-year-old child, a big wrestling fan. He hasn't been allowed to watch WWF, only WCW, and he's now unable to watch it at all on Monday, thanks to the format change. WCW was the "lesser of two evils" choice: until now. 

Old-Schoolers: Believe it or not, there ARE a lot of marks that like the wrestling part of it. I was on the phone with my boss (Who tuned in a while back for KISS) and she asked me: "Is that all they do these days, is run their mouth?". Indeed.

Soaps Haters -- There are also men that hate soap opera style shows. Hah! WCW was the alternative for these people: until now.

Women - assuming things stay the way they are, I'm sure as a whole the femal portion of the audience doesn't care much for the Russo-esque portrayal of women. A surprising fact of the old WCW was that a lot of the female audience preferred it over RAW for this reason. Where to go, now that the "alternative to RAW" is gone?

Another thing that made the Monday Night Wars so hot was the balance of competition. He said it better than I did, so quote the reader:

: "-I could watch one to get entertainment + T&A+ some wrestling dispersed throughout, or I could watch the other to see more scientific, old school, wrestling that I grew up w/ & made me become a fan."

*A LOT* of us grew up as big fans of old school, and it pisses me off to see two writers step on us for the newer fad audiences. So hear me now: The lack of the alternative offered by "old" WCW will result in the loss of the fans that, for whatever reason, do not watch "Attitude"-themed programming, and a general downshift of the popularity of wrestling in general.

And you *can* quote me on that, YOU COPYCAT!

Mr. T
[slash] wrestling

Mail the Author

BLAH

Main

Design copyright (C) 1999 Christopher Robin Zimmerman & KZiM Communications
Guest column text copyright (C) 1999 by the individual author and used with permission